Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Getaway

As promised, the e-mail I got the other day...

[edit] When in "getaway" scenarios, do you like to drive Audi S4s? I think they're pretty intense. They drove an S6 in that Ronin movie. Seems like an S4 would be better because it's got a smaller body so it'd be able to fit in tighter situations. Anyhow, I had an S4, but I got rid of it for a Jetta because it lets me blend in better. [edit]

You sound like an Audi enthusiast, and while I agree that an S4 would be better for maneuvering in the streets of Nice, you have to remember that in Ronin, they had people in the back seat, and while the S4 is a nice car, it's not exactly comfortable in the back, especially if you're carrying around a rocket launcher like they were (if I remember correctly). I have to think that a competent "wheelman" could handle an S6 no problem. Plus, they had nitrous.

Back to real life... in Ronin, the dudes knew they'd be intercepting the package on the road, so they had the cars ready. Very rarely do we engage in high-speed chases like the ones John Frankenheimer filmed, and very rarely do we need to "make a getaway", but when we do, it's not with an Audi or anything remotely like that. The part of the world we operate in isn't exactly the best place to find new, working automobiles. If you're in Bishkek looking for a car made after 1990, well, good luck to you is about all I can say. Obviously, it's easier in places like Moscow or St. Pete's, and it's easier in Vladivostok because of its proximity to Japan, but finding something like an S4 on a moment's notice in Central Asia is like finding Heidi Klum in your bedroom... it's just not very likely. So you take what you can find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home