Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Office Shuffle

As promised, although starting late, one post a day for a week. Promise is void if I get called away on duty.

Well, the move to the new building is complete, and luckily, I'm still in the old building. The reassignments actually made logical sense, which surprised me. I had assumed that they would devise some asinine scheme for moving offices, alphabetical perhaps, or based on seniority. But they decided on geographical location, which means that the people who normally work together are co-located. Makes sense!

Because the other building is smaller, it handles the Americas and the "upper management". That's a decent-sized crowd, but nothing compared to the Eurasia and Africa gang. They're taking down the "Big Board", opting for an online version that's not nearly as cool or Dr. Strangeloveish. That's a tragedy. And there are a bunch of empty offices right now, because they haven't starting filling the positions yet. So imagine an office that was full... then remove 30% of the people in it... then remove a ton of furniture. It's a little bit spooky.

Despite my own protests, I've been moved a short way down the hall. It isn't a big deal... I just didn't understand why I had to move what amounts to six or seven offices down the hall. Right now I overlook an empty bank of cubicles. If not for the conference room, I could probably see straight across to the other side of the building.

The claim is that the new people will start arriving in bunches next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home